Search This Blog

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Love Acts Responsibly

"There is exists in love a particular responsibility - the responsibility for a person who is drawn into the closest possible partnership in the and activity of another, and becomes in a sense the property of whoever benefits from the this gift of self. It follows that one also has a responsibility for one's own love: is it mature and complete enough to justify the enormous trust of another person, the hope that giving oneself will not mean losing one's own 'soul', but on the contrary enlarging one's existence...Responsibility for love clearly clearly comes down to responsibility for the person, originates in it and returns to it. This is what makes it such an immense responsibility. But its immensity can only be understood by one who has a complete awareness of the value of the person." (p. 130, Love & Responsibility, Wojtyla)

He concludes with "The greater the feeling of responsibility for the person the more true love there is." (p. 131)

When I started this blog, I did not know about this book. I happened upon it on Amazon. But there it was, my thoughts exactly: There needs to be responsibility for love.

I am feeling responsible for my Mom's health and happiness now, and this reminds me, it's because I love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment