Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Forgiving Love

"Love is not possible, at least for long, without the healing work of forgiveness." (p. 28, Bold Love, Allender & Longman) Later the writers expound: "Forgiving love is the inconceivable, unexplainable pursuit of the offender by the offended for the sake of restored relationship with God, self, and others." (p. 29)

If you are to continue in a loving relationship, forgiveness must be a part of the equation, part of the relationship, a part of your attitude, a part of you. It will take a part of you and give it to another. Forgiveness is the air needed for loving relationships.

The authors offer their premise: "I will not live with purpose and joy unless I love; I will not be able to love unless I forgive and I will not forgive unless my hatred is continually melted by the searing truth and grace of the gospel...Forgiveness is even harder than we think it is - but infinitely more life-giving. If love offers life, forgiveness enables love." (p. 30)

No comments:

Post a Comment