Search This Blog

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Raising the Bar

Cynthia Heald in her book, Becoming a Woman Who Loves, prefaces the book with reading Jesus' words in John 13, where He ramps up the Old Testament command.

Old Testament Command -Love your neighbor as yourself:  I am the Lord.  (Lev 19:18)
New Testament Command - Love as I have loved you.  (Jesus said) (John 13:34,35)

Jesus always did that, raising the bar.  It's not just murder, don't hate in your heart (Matt 5:21,22).  It's not just don't commit adultery, don't look and lust (Matt 5:27,28).  Here He does it again:  Don't just love others as yourself, love them the way I have loved you.  Now, that's another thing altogether.  As Mrs. Heald points it, it's a lot easier to love others as I love myself, but can I even comprehend loving others as Jesus did, as Jesus would.

No comments:

Post a Comment