Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Glimpses of Eternity & Terminal Dignity

"The truth is that there is only terminal dignity - love." Helen Hayes

This sounds good, but I couldn't quite get it. I looked up "terminal" to make sure I understood it. The definitions read like this: forming the end or extremity of something; forming the end of a series; closing; concluding; pertaining to or lasting for a definite period...

I looked up dignity. It's definitions included: bearing, conduct, or speech indicative of self-respect or appreciation; nobility or elevation of character; worthiness; a sign or token of respect...

I then discovered the rest of the quote: "And the story of a love is not important - what is important is that one is capable of love. It is perhaps the only glimpse we are permitted of eternity."

I understand her quote better now. I agree love is the terminal, the end of something, if even a series of loving acts. I agree love gives dignity to the receiver and the giver. It's a new way of thinking of love, the only terminal dignity, the only glimpse of eternity.



No comments:

Post a Comment